With a perfect blend of spices, fruit and carrots, these healthy muffins are a great way to start the day! Add a spread of Datehini on top of each bite for an extra dose of omega-3s and antioxidants.
MORNING GLORY MUFFINS
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup PurDate sugar
- 1 cup Datehini Cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ to 1 cup raisins, red or golden (optional)
- 6 Tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, mashed banana, date sugar, Datehini and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in carrots and optional raisins just until moistened. Add the wet mixture to the dry until just combined. Be sure not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups. This recipe makes one dozen large muffins or 18 medium size muffins. Sprinkle optional walnuts and wheat germ over the tops.
- Bake for 15 to 18 mins, or until the tops are golden and after inserting a toothpick it comes out clean. Cool on a rack and serve with PurDate sugar butter.
Adapted from allrecipes.com by Jaclyn