There's nothing like the smell of cinnamon rolls fresh from the oven on a Saturday morning! Whip a batch of these up and top with Datehini in any of our flavors for a weekend treat.
Makes 16 rolls
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup PurDate sugar
- 1/2 cup Datehini Cinnamon
- 2 1/8 tsp yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Boil the milk in a saucepan, quickly add the coconut oil and PurDate sugar, Datehini and whisk to combine well. Simmer until the sugar appears mostly dissolved. It will not dissolve completely, due to the fiber from the dates keeping the nutrition intact. This is a good thing! Turn off the heat and set aside to cool. Once the mixture has cooled to a lukewarm temperature of between 100 and 110 degrees, add the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of flour to the milk mixture. Use a mixer or wooden spoon to combine. Cover and let rise for at least an hour until dough is doubled in size.
- Add remaining cup of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together.
- Separate dough into two equal parts. Sprinkle rolling surface with flour. Form dough into two thin rectangles.
- Mix the 1/2 cup of Datehini Cinnamon and 2 Tbsp of melted butter and spread over one rectangle of dough with a baster. Sprinkle ¼ cup of PurDate sugar over the butter. Generously sprinkle 1 Tbsp or more of cinnamon on top. Repeat process with the other rectangle of dough.
- Roll each rectangle of dough tightly starting with the longest side. Seal the side by pinching it together tightly. Cut rolls 1 inch thick with a serrated knife and place in baking dish. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in oven at 375F for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle the Datehini over the top and serve warm.
If you want to prepare ahead of time, make the night before and refrigerate. Remove the next morning and let the dough sit out for 20 minutes until it comes to room temperature. Then bake as normal.