Granola can be one of the most useful things to have on-hand in the kitchen. It can double as cereal for morning breakfast, top yogurt or acai bowls, or just be delicious on its own. And like most things, homemade is always best. This version incorporates Datehini in place of honey for added nutritional benefit.
Thank you to PurDate for sharing!
Makes 14 cups
- 7 cups whole rolled oats
- 1 1/2 -2 cups almonds, chopped or ground (or whatever nut you prefer)
- 2/3 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup PurDate sugar sifted if clumpy (adjust based on preferred sweetness)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly (can use any oil)
- 2/3 cup Datehini Original, Cinnamon or Vanilla
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together oats, almonds, salt, ground flax seeds, PurDate sugar and coconut flakes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together coconut oil, Datehini, vanilla extract, almond extract, and egg whites.
- Pour wet mixture over oat mixture and mix well until evenly combined. Pour onto prepared baking sheet lined with paper and spread into an even layer. Be patient here. It may take 3-4 trays to bake all the granola. You don't want the layers to be too thick or the granola won't bake evenly.
- Baking is the tricky part. Because all ovens are different, you must watch yours closely so that the granola doesn't burn. I suggest baking for 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven with the oven fan on. Then, remove from oven, and flip granola with a spatula, and spread back into an even layer before turning the oven fan off. Continue to bake until granola is just lightly golden brown, about 10-15 minutes longer. You want your granola to be golden crisp but not burnt. If it is baking too quickly, you can reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees. Let cool before storing in an airtight container or in the fridge.
- Serve with milk, yogurt, or by itself. Top with fresh seasonal fruit and date sugar or date syrup. Be creative here!
Recipe Note:If you want a smooth texture, add ¼ cup sour cream.
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Sesame seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Seasonal Fruit
- Really, anything you like!